Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Cinnamon Zucchini Bars

Yes, another zucchini recipe. As much as I like dark chocolate, I think this might be my favorite of the two. This makes a huge sheet cake pan full, so I would recommend making this if you have a crowd to please. With the subtle cinnamon flavor and not even a hint of zucchini, it is sure to please.


Most, if not all, of my cooking and baking is done with almond milk. Almond milk used in this frosting does not require refrigeration. It also makes it milk free, which is good for my lactose intolerant tummy. Sometimes almond milk is the tiniest bit thinner than 2% or whole milk and you may have to compensate by adding a touch less or more powdered sugar as in this case.
The original recipe says this should be more dense than it turns out. It really does turn out like cake, but still wonderful! Next time, I will add an extra egg to the batter and double the cinnamon in both the batter and frosting.
Here is the recipe I used:

1 1/4 c. butter, softened

3/4 c. sugar

3/4 c. brown sugar, packed

3 eggs

2 tsp vanilla

2 1/2 c. flour

1 Tbsp baking powder

1 1/2 tsp cinnamon

2 c. zucchini, grated

Frosting
2 c. powdered sugar

1 tsp cinnamon

2 Tbsp butter, melted

1 tsp vanilla

2 Tbsp milk

Instructions
Cream butter and sugars. Add eggs and vanilla. Mix in flour, cinnamon and baking powder. Blend in zucchini.

Pour into greased jelly roll pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes. Cool.

Prepare frosting. Add more milk if necessary to get right consistency. Spread over cooled bars.

No comments:

Post a Comment