Friday, January 29, 2010

BLT Spaghetti

Last week, I watched Rachael Ray make bacon and leek spaghetti on her morning show. It looked great, but I have never tasted a leek or cooked with them. So, I decided to modify the recipe and make my own creation.

1 package of bacon
1 small package of angel hair pasta
1 bag fresh spinach
1 onion
3 cloves garlic
1 can whole tomatoes or 1 cup pasta sauce

Cook the pasta, let it sit in the water until you are ready for it. Cut bacon in to chunks, cook along with diced onion and garlic. Once the bacon is crispy, drain most of the grease. Put all the fresh spinach in the pan with bacon and let it cook down. Once it is reduced, add the pasta along with a cup of the starchy water from the pasta. Add the tomatoes and break apart or add pasta sauce. I used plain Ragu. Mix and cook until pasta is coated. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve with shredded parmesean or mozerrella.

This is a great side dish or meal. It would be good with meatballs or chicken as well.

To cut fat and calories, use whole wheat pastas and reduced calorie sauces. To reduce fat more, drain bacon completely and pat dry with paper towels. Use a little water and a dash of olive oil to reduce the spinach or use frozen spinach.

Leftover factor:  I put the leftovers in an oven safe dish with shredded chicken and mozerella. I put it in the fridge and will throw it in the oven when I'm short on time. I'll bake at 350 until the cheese is melted.

No comments:

Post a Comment