Saturday, January 30, 2010

Mini Pizzas

Movie, shopping, a day out in the cold winter's sun with my wonderful husband.... but now I want to sit and relax. The bottom drawer of my fridge has been holding a package of english muffins for a couple weeks now that were screaming my name.

Since I had all the fixings for pizza but no energy to fix a real crust, I decided to make mini pizzas with...drumroll please....english muffins. I know it seems like an overused hurried meal, but not for me. I can't just throw sauce, meat and cheese on something and shove it in the oven.

First order of business, slightly toast all of the muffin halves. Seems easy so far.

Second, the sauce. Yes, a jar of cheap pizza sauce was staring me down, daring me to go ahead and use as is. But alas, I too would win the battle of the cheap pizza sauce.

In a small sauce or saute pan, I added a dab of olive oil, half of an onion thinly sliced, a can of mushrooms and three cloves of garlic finely chopped. Once the onions were clear and the mushrooms were slightly sauteed, I added the jar of sauce and a couple dashes of fresh cracked pepper.

The rest of the story reads much like any pizza....a layer of crust/muffin, layer of sauce, layer of pepperoni or meat or veggie of choice and a layer of cheese. I add Italian seasoning to my cheese so it bakes across the top of the pizza.

Pop in the oven and bake at 425 until the cheese is melted and gooey.

Leftover factor:  (provided there are leftovers) Throw in fridge and eat at will. They refridgerate well.

No comments:

Post a Comment